Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Parable of Dolly

The end of June we bought a 2002 Dogde Durango. We got rid of the White Malibu. It was so nice to see that car go! (I think Ben was more excited because he gets to drive the Altima now). We bought it from the TNT Auction. It was a Police K-9 unit. The only way we could tell was it the title was from the Salt Lake Police Department and there was tons of dog hair in the back. We had to do a lot of repairs, but it was still worth it. About a week after we bought it we noticed that the headlights had about an inch of water inside of them. We thought this was weird, but didn't think anything of it. Then one night when I was at my mom's house one of the headlights burned out. The next day the boys and I went to Provo to visit Tricia. It was about 10:00 p.m. when I left. I got in the Durango (which we named Dolly) and turned on the headlights and nothing worked. I had no headlights and no brights. I very carefully left Tricia's apartment and headed home with only parking lights. Driving around the city was fine, but as soon as I got onto the freeway I couldn't see a thing and to make things worse it started to rain. It rained and rained and rained. I think it was the scarest I had been driving. Luckily the boys fell asleep before we even got on the freeway. I tried following cars and staying close to them, but the cars kept getting off the freeway or going places I didn't want to go. I couldn't see the lines on the road and I couldn't see when the road turned. Finally when I got close to Bountiful I called Ben. He was at work and had just gotten off so I told him to meet me at a gas station so I could follow him home. Once I had Ben to follow I was amazed at how calm I was. All of the fear and tention was gone and I finally had peace.

Here is what this experience taught me. In life if we don't have any direction or light of our own and try to life off of someone elses light or follow people that we don't know if they are trust worthly they will lead us to places we don't want to go. They may take us off of the straight and narrow path. When you don't have any light yourself you don't know which way to go, but when you follow the Christ's light you will be at peace and he will lead you safely home.

To finish the story, yes, I made it home safe. We found out the problem was the water in the headlights touched the hot lightblubs and broke them. We drained the water, fixed the wholes, replaced the bulbs and it works fine now.

0 comments:

Site Meter